Cleaned Up Coconut Rice Pudding
So here is one of the recipes I promised the other day – a cleaned up version of a comforting favorite 🙂
*I will totally add pictures tomorrow as I am currently at the boyfriend’s house and without my camera cord – womp womp* Edited to add: Wow … thought I snapped more pictures than I did … I guess I was too focused on eating the end product. Oh well 🙂
Coconut Rice Pudding
Yield: 6 – 1/2 c servings
prep time: ~45 minutes (if cooking rice)
total time: ~60 minutes (if cooking rice) or ~20 minutes if using leftover rice
What an awesome way to make use of leftover plain brown rice! Enjoy for dessert or as a great alternative to your bowl of oats in the morning. Feel free to substitute any of your favorite whole grains!
1 c brown rice
1/2 c sugar
1 c unsweetened almond milk
1/2 can of light coconut milk
splash of vanilla extract
1 serving of Vega Vanilla Chai
2 oz of coconut flakes
sprinkle of cinnamon
1. Cook brown rice per instructions or use 1 cup of leftover brown rice
2. In a medium saucepan combine almond milk and light coconut milk. Bring to a simmer and whisk in sugar and vanilla extract.
3. Add the brown rice and continue to cook for another 10 minutes to soak up all of the coconutty goodness 🙂
4. Once the rice mixture has reached your preferred creaminess remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Mix in the Vega Vanilla Chai, coconut flakes, and cinnamon.
Edited to add: *WARNING – The Vega Vanilla Chai will give your final product a slightly greenish hue so if you are color sensitive with your food feel free to substitute your favorite vanilla flavored protein powder*
5. Garnish with chopped almonds and enjoy! 🙂
This recipe reminds me of my grandma’s arroz con leche she would make for us during winter … but more exotic and vegan 😛
Now to finish the night with some The Biggest Loser and a #fitblog chat. Have a lovely evening!
What’s your favorite childhood dessert?