SBJ is the new PBJ Power Bars
In addition to enjoying some awesome weather and family fun yesterday I was in the kitchen whipping up some great bars as inspired by Oxygen’s new Fat Blasting foods guide.
SB Protein Power Bars
Great as an afternoon pick me up with some green tea or some quick post workout fuel, these are super quick to throw together and the flavor combinations are endless. I’m thinking an almond butter and dried cherry batch is next 😀
*Inspired by Oxygen – Fat Blasting Food Guide with a few tweaks in ingredients for what I had on hand.*
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes (includes time in fridge to set)
8 oz dates
1/4 c water
1/4 c sunflower butter
1/4 c flax meal
1 cup vanilla whey protein powder
pinch of salt
4 oz dried apricots, diced
1/2 c Uncle Sams Original cereal, divided in half
1. Blend together dates and water in food processor
2. Add sunflower butter and blend until smooth. May need to add more water to help thin mixture slightly *I could probably eat just this mixture smeared on a waffle or toast with banana – soooo good*
3. Add protein powder, flax meal, and salt; blend thoroughly. Add diced apricot and half of the cereal to food processor and pulse until just combined.
4. Place a long piece of wax paper into a baking dish – leave enough wax paper to hang over edge. *I highly recommend using the wax paper if you want your bars to come out in one piece – not pieces. The tin foil was kind of a fail*
5. Pour mixture into baking dish and use the wax paper to press evenly into baking dish. Sprinkle remaining cereal on top of mixture.
6. Place in freezer for an hour to firm up enough to cut into 8 pieces. Store individually wrapped in fridge or freezer.
Seriously delicious and a cinch to throw together! Totally recommend picking up any of Oxygen’s publications but especially this Fat Blasting Food Guide – tons of great tips and recipes as always.