Crispy Tofu “Fingers”
Like most Americans this Super Bowl Sunday I will be stuffing my face and drinking beer (more in the hopes of forgetting that AFC Championship loss – but let’s not talk about that.
I will more than likely be sedentary for a good portion of the day so I’m trying to do what I can on the food front to combat the lack of calories burned. Enter this recipe for crispy tofu “fingers”.
Crispy Tofu “Fingers”
These are a filling protein packed alternative to the normal chips and dip or veggies and hummus. Not to mention that they are totally delicious with the classic ketchup partner.
Prep time – 2hr 30 min (1 hour is for tofu pressing and 1 hour is for tofu marinating)
Total time – 2 hr 45 min
1 block of extra firm tofu (plain or whatever flavor you like)
1 T soy sauce
2 t mustard
1 T balsamic vinegar
1 T olive oil
2 t buffalo hot sauce (or any spicy hot sauce you have on hand)
1/4 c corn meal
3 T nutritional yeast
2 T flour
salt/pepper/chili powder to your taste
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Drain and press your tofu. If you’re fancy and have a tofu presser – awesome! If you’re like me and lack a tofu presser: wrap your tofu with a dish towel, place on a cutting board, top with another cutting board, and weigh it down with some heavy cookbooks or canned goods.
3. While your tofu presses mix the marinade in a covered container large enough to soak the tofu.
4. Once your tofu is relatively water free cut into 8 “fingers. For consistent size I cut the block in half horizontally, take and cut one of those halves in half. From there I cut one of those slabs into two “fingers”. One block yields about 8 “fingers”.
5. Marinate your tofu “fingers” for approximately an hour (I did it over night for super infused flavor).
6. While your tofu marinates, mix together the breading in a medium sized bowl.
7. Take your marinated tofu and bread with cornmeal breading.
8. Bake on foil lined baking sheet for 10 minutes, flip tofu “fingers”, and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
These are slightly spicy and a super convenient way to sneak in a healthy dose of protein in between beer and pizza this Sunday.